Tuesday, July 23, 2019

THE END, Austin is Dead!

El Patio is closing!  Aug 9 is to be their last day.


An earlier story:
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/beloved-austin-restaurant-to-celebrate-65-years-as-others-close/

In the early Austin TexMex days, there was El Matamoros, El Patio, El Toro, La Tapitia  All serving pretty much the same dishes.  Only El Patio was left.  La Tapitia may have been the best but El Patio is plenty good.  All four preceded El Rancho and El Gallo, I believe.  I also fondly recall the departed newcomers El Norteno and Vikashmo's.

On reflection, I see Jaime's Spanish Village deserves a place in the above list of titans:
http://alcalde.texasexes.org/2010/07/jaimes-spanish-village-to-close-after-80-years/
Since it was rather inconveniently located for me, I was not a frequent visitor.  The food, however, was great!

Austin can finally be declared dead. Though I think El Rancho remains but can not be called early Austin TexMex.

9/20/19
Austin Survives a Brush with Death!
Recent news is that some descendants decided to continue to operate El Patio!
I'll get by there first chance I get.


No comments:

Post a Comment