Tuesday, August 27, 2019

The upside to hording

I've been asked for proof that I have been a RoundUp user over the past 40 years.  Photos of containers and receipts were suggested.  I was looking around for old 2.5 gallon containers knowing I had not bought RoundUp in that size for ~30 years.  Then, I noticed these table supports:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9fUkK7VNVFaKi9nY6

For no particular reason, I've saved farm expense receipts since 1985.  After taxes are done, I've put them in a box, labeled with the year, and put them in storage.  I have a long string of these boxes in storage.  Many times it has been suggested that I throw them out since the IRS will not want to see anything older than three years.  I generally counter that I might want to review them as a history thing.   I just went through my oldest box and found three RoundUp receipts.  I'm most of the way through the next oldest box and have not found another.  Now, I'm debating whether to present only the three or continue to dig.  It can take several hours to go through a box.


It is nostalgic, reviewing old purchases.   Thousands of bare root fruit trees, blackberry roots, tomato transplant.  Almost uncountable diesel fuel receipts  Many companies no longer in business.  I found some weekly bills from neighbors that were delivering for me or working farmer's markets.


1 comment:

  1. So we do have something in common, ridiculous collections of old receipts and papers. I have letters that go back to the fifties, phone bills, property tax bills, unbelievable clutter.

    ReplyDelete