Tuesday, October 15, 2019

37.5 kva transfomer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3AEB5Y6vR8FKEWMH6

Cloudly, rainy weather will not likely show increased production.  I'm EAGERLY awaiting some sun.  My share of the cost of the upgrade was a bit less than $500; that was covered by my built up credit from previous energy sales.

With the replaced 15 kva, my production (the excess sold to the utility) was limited to about 15kw, with a peak below 18kw.  With the new transfomer, I hope to sell, at times, up to about 40kw.   For that new transformer, I am in the process of adding panels and reconfiguring installed panels to the steeply sloped east and west facing configuration on TwoFaced Rails.

Across the road on another 15kva transformer, where my panel configuration is mainly steeply sloped east and west facing, I see production of ~17kw for 8+ hours per day with cooperative sun.  On sunny days, I can sell as much as 110 kwh; production migh be ~140kwh.  I expect that meter/transformer to be my next candidate for an upgrade.  Perhaps a 50kva.  If so, it should support significant additions to production.

10/18/19  A sunny day and disappointment in increased production.
Top image is for the house (37.5kva transformer), total energy: 115kwh.
Sales to the utility: 94.5kwh (~$6.05)
Bottom image is for "across the road" (15kva transfomer), total energy:  145kwh.
Sales to the utility: 113.7kwh (~$7.28)



In both the above images, the lower lighter green areas represent roof top panels; all panels pointing the same direction, near south.  The dark green areas are ground mounts that point various directions.

Not related but my recent electric bill was -$185.81, down from -$200.90 the previous month.  The 3rd meter, which is credited annually rather than monthly and at a lower rate, should add about $58 to the month's value.   The 3rd meter added about $3.37 to yesterday's production value; $16.59 total for three meters.

10/28/19
Some clarification on the power going through the 37.5kva transformer.
When I had the 15kva installed, peak power supplied to the utility was around 17kw.  After twiddling a bit, my new peak power is around 22kw.  Not too bad but I had hoped for more.  I've increased the number of panels in the north yard from 14 to about 20; the 10 ga wire should handle 4-5kw and I'm seeing peaks of near 5kw.  The roof top is limited by the inverter to about 5kw.  The old aluminum wire that supplies all other PV at the house, south yard and south field, seems limited to 12-14kw.  My disappointment is in the capacity of that wire and I am in the process of installing additional capacity.  I hope for about 100 amps more; 20+kw.  With that added capacity and enough panels, I should reach my goal of 30-40kw at the house meter/transformer.

Soon: additional capacity across the road.  Maybe going from ~17kw to 40-60kw.


No comments:

Post a Comment