Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day

I had been considering making a flash trip to Texarkana to visit my mother today.  As was common when she was alive, she was denied the honor she deserves.

I have vague memories of a very old TV series many decades old that have surfaced.  "I Remember Mama".  In the pre-internet days, I did not think I would ever find a record of it.  I've even thought it might be a figment of my imagination.  I'm thrilled to find, right now, there is a movie version playing.  A little googling reveals that the movie was preceded by the TV series:


My first encounter with TV was in St Louis; that was the first place we lived that had TV  broadcasting and we lived in St. Louis for only about a year and had moved there after post war years in mostly in Texarkana.  We moved to Austin several months before the first Austin station started broadcasting.   KTBC started broadcasting Nov 27, 1952; we had likely moved to Austin in the Summer of 1952.   So, it must have been about 1950-51 when I was first watching TV.  That would be when I Remember Mama wormed it's way into my mind.  At that age, I was not a connoisseur of fine TV programming, though I Remember Mama was certainly that.  It was the strangeness of the Swedish accents and the immigrant life that caught my attention.  Sadly, it appears I Remember Mama has never gone into reruns.


 

1 comment:

  1. I loved I Remember Mama. We had a TV when I was 2 in 1948. Or, after looking at both shows on YouTube I could be thinking of The Goldbergs. Maybe both.

    ReplyDelete