Sunday, November 8, 2020

Medal of Honor

 This inspired by a CBS Full Measure story aired 11/8/2020.

My grandmother was very proud through out her life of her status as a "Real Daughter of the Confederacy".  A status awarded by United Daughters of the Confederacy.  Membership in UDC requires an ancestor who provided Confederate service.  "Real Daughters" are those whose fathers provided that service.

My grandmother is a daughter of Confederate veteran Whitfield Roger Taylor (1841-1899).  In the 1930s, my great grandmother obtained a Confederate Widow's Pension.   From Arkansas, as I recall.  She was quite a bit younger than Whitfield and married after the war, in 1885.  At age 37, she was left a widow with seven children.  Because my great grandmother was born after the war, in 1867, Real Daughters were relatively rare during my grandmother's life time.

Whitfield's brother, Ricard, received a very early Congressional Metal of Honor for his yankee service in the war described only as "capturing the flag".  At least that is the only description I have found.  Full Measure tells us that a Medal of Honor Museum is being built.  I hope to eventually learn more of Richard Taylor via that facility.   I guess Richard would be my great grand uncle.  Uncle to my grandmother.  Maybe it is just "grand uncle".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Medal_of_Honor_Museum 

BTW, I consider "Full Measure" to be one of the VERY few network newsy shows worth watching.  Full Measure exposes much media bias.  To stay on the air in the environment of liberal control, they have to do that in a circumspect way rather than by just stating the obvious.


 11/15/2020

I just learned through FamilySearch.org that my grandmother (above) is the 9th great granddaughter of a Mayflower passenger.  That, through her mother, wife of Whitfield, Sara Cordelia Southerland.  The passenger is Richard Warren, born about 1578 died 1628.

This link MAY work:

https://www.familysearch.org/campaign/mayflower?ancestor_pid_1=KXML-7XC&et_cid=1817225&et_rid=160901819&linkid=CTA&cid=em-brc-10035



 

No comments:

Post a Comment