Sunday, February 7, 2021

Austin Used to be a Good/Fine/Wonderful Place to Live

I was in and out of Camp TomWooten for a few years.  Maybe 1957-1960.  Before I got involved in sports cars.  I fondly remember spending a week at "Aquatics Camp".  Swimming, canoeing, diving, etc.  Merit Badges for all.  I was unaware of, or forgot, the opportunity to hike to Mansfield Dam, then canoe back.  That's something I wish I had done.  It would have been a 10+ mile hike over very rugged country.   Maybe as long as 20 miles.  I was aware of multi day hikes.  The camp had a quite impressive waterfront on the west side of the Lake Austin Bull Creek Arm.

Before the property was "developed", I understood it belonged to the Boy Scouts of America and expected the camp to be there forever.  After it was sold, I developed the erroneous impression that the land had only been loaned to BSA.  The website below set me straight: the camp was sold by BSA and the proceeds used to develop a new and larger camp in Bastrop County.

I remember the mentioned Jack Swenson. I believe a son was a classmate.  I knew where they lived: just east of now Mopac and south of Hancock Dr.

The Highland Lakes were VERY attractive.  Very little traffic and "development".  I had a collection of small boats.  An Old Town canoe with a motor mount, an 8' pram which could be used with an outboard or rowed.  Later, a small hydroplane.  I remember pulling water skiers, with limited success, behind the hydroplane. with a small, perhaps 10hp, outboard.  For a while, the family had a "Terra Marina" houseboat which was kept on Lake Travis.  I've been all over Lake Austin and Lake Travis, mostly in my small boats.  I remember having my 1.5hp outboard quit running on me while I was in Devil's Canyon across the lake from Hudson Bend.  I ended up swimming the mile back across the lake pulling the pram my dog was sitting in.  Back then, Devil's Canyon was always near deserted.  I also remember my dog throwing up in the boat while on a trp.  Motion sickness I suppose.  I was impressed when he cleaned up after himself by eating again.

 http://westtexasscoutinghistory.net/CTW/index.html

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/elva/1592879196/1592879196ss.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment