Thursday, February 4, 2021

Bankhead Highway

Somewhere around 1929, my mother took the train from Texarkana to El Paso and helped her aunt drive her Model A back home to Texarkana. When told of it, I considered it an epic adventure and my respect for my mother went way up. Her aunt was a long time school teacher in the El Paso area. Sadly, I was unable to extract many details of the trip from my mother. Now, it is no longer possible. I'm certain that my grandmother would have had recollections of releasing her teenage daughter on such an expedition. I did not know to ask and her recollections are also lost. I have since concluded that the route must have been on the Bankhead Highway though my mother seemed unaware.

Today, on Interstates, it is just over 800 miles and 12 hours. The Texas section of the Bankhead is cited as 850 miles. My mother reported pretty good roads but much gravel. Certainly speeds were under 50mph with 30-40 mph more reasonable. Possibly slower. My mother did not report number of days on the road but it was likely three or more. At least 24 hours worth of very tiring driving. I would love to have a detailed itinerary

No comments:

Post a Comment