Sunday, August 7, 2022

Possum Trap


https://photos.app.goo.gl/abrUHitEWX8MSRYs8

 Perhaps 10+ years ago, I set up a compost container near my front walk through gate.  A ~4' length of 24" corrugated steel culvert pipe standing on end.  I carry my kitchen rotable debris to the container.  These days, coffee grounds, avocado seed and shells, banana peels, food that has gone bad in the kitchen, caught mouse bodies.  Most meat products, such as chicken carcasses, go in the yard and get taken care of by wandering nocturnal wildlife.  The idea was that I would add another compost culvert when the first one was filled.  I was surprised that I was unable to fill the container; it rots down faster than I add to it.  In the 10+ years it has been in use, depth is 12" or less.

Yesterday morning, I noticed a possum trapped in the compost culvert.  Apparently unable to scale the ~3 vertical feet of culvert.  I placed a hoe in the the culvert which allowed the possum to climb the handle and escape.  Then, later in the day, I removed the hoe.  This morning, I was surprised to find the possum again trapped.  I regretted not taking some photos of his first trapping.  I will not let that opportunity get away from me again.  See here soon, the photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rvt86BTCFJDdaC4s8

Soon after the above photos, the possum had freed himself.  I will again remove the hoe and give him opportunity to trap himself again.

The shorter culvert sections are planters.  And serve other purposes.  Recently, I have been planting pineapple tops in those planters.  Out of ~8 for this season, one (pictured) has survived.  I've been peeing on it; the only moisture it has gotten.  Correction:  I have TWO surviving pineapple tops.  One in each of two planters.  One surviving with no supplemental moisture.

Until the hard freezes of the past two years, the planters had been overflowing with two varieties of spineless cactus.  The freezes killed all cactus in the planters, but the parts spilling to the ground had rooted and survived.  I have been moving leaves from the survivors back to the planters. 

"Back to the Earth" homeowners tend to buy or build compost bins that are short lived and are a maintenance problem.  Not to mention very expensive.  Much in contrast to my scheme.  The mind boggles at the cost of such compost.

8/13/22

After an absence of several days, this morning I found the possum sleeping in the compost bin.  I dumped some kitchen junk on top of him.  I'll get prepared to take a photo before I put the hoe back in.

A bit later:  Added two photos to the above album.  He climbed the hoe handle, stuck his head above the rim, then went back down.  I waited about 15 minutes to get that photo.  I pulled the hoe back out and may try again later.

8/19/22

I found the dead possum in the compost bin.  Since I released him at least twice, I can work up no guilt.  I did find another, apparent possum, skull in the compost bin.  So, that one apparently is not the first possum to find his end trapped in the culvert.




2 comments:

  1. Are you checking on the possum? What about the other critter looking over the edge of the large bin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other critter is the possum in question. He showed his head over he top of the culvert, then dropped back down even though there was nothing to keep him in. Later, I used the hoe to pull him out. Worked the blade under his body and pulled him straight up. I was going to let him tumble over the edge but, while that was in progress, he grabbed the fence with his tail. I left him there and the next time I looked he was gone. Haven't seen him since.

    ReplyDelete