Sunday, August 28, 2022

Sad TireRack Story

 This directed to TireRack which has resisted honoring a tire guarantee.

 https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNq04s2iffTzo2lJbcV2TE_6aotEPIvM7kIR6fQ

I've been mostly buying Tesla tires from TireRack since my first, a 2013 S.  A year of so after I bought my last Model 3, a 2018, I bought six tires.  Mostly to keep in stock.  About six months ago, I was running low on stock so I ordered two more of the same.  Just after that, on a Colorado trip, one tire on the car started thumping.  In the middle of the night, in the middle of the panhandle.  I drove slowly through the night and found a small town tire shop open early the next morning.  I tasked the tire shop with identifying the bad tire and putting the spare, which I was carrying, on the car to replace the bad one.  It turned out to be a semi-common problem.  Cord or tread separation which makes the tire not round and causes the thumping.  Onward, through the fog.  Within a couple of months, I had the same problem on a newer tire on the car.  I had decided not to fool with a claim on the first failure but the second failure swayed me to attempt a claim.  TireRack does not have a local presence.  Many other area Tesla drivers favor Discount Tire because of hassle free service and warranty claims.  Anyway, the TireRack people wanted to put me through the wringer.  "Give us photos, the miles on each failed tire, measure the tread depth".  Of course, since I was replacing single tires as needed, I have no idea of each tire's mileage.  But here are the photos requested.  I'll report here success or failure of my warranty claim.

Short story, out of 8 tires of that type from TireRack, 2 have had cord separations.  I think I have a total of four not yet failed tires of that type.  I think, three or four on the ground and one spare.  I fear I have more such failures in my future.

Since my 2nd failure, I have bought two Goodyears from TireRack which have given me no such trouble over the years.  It seems likely, I will be buying tires locally in the future.

The best I can do on mileage is that I started replacing OEM tires, one by one, after about 30k miles.  The car now has a total of 79k miles.  My WAG is that the failed tires had 15k-30k miles at the times of failure.   Several of the OEMs went 50K+ miles.

4 comments:

  1. Your link to what I think should be pictures does not work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Tried it again, got a 404 error. Doesn't matter. I will not be looking for tires.

      Delete
  3. Since the photos are in google photos/albums, it might be that you have to be logged into google.

    ReplyDelete