Thursday, April 13, 2023

The World's Sexiest Woman

 An alternate title: "A Challenge to YouTube Viewing Stamina".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgMSjAHIV1w&t=3720s

A video from "Green Forest Farm" YT channel.  A few uncertainties.  She makes mortar from portland cement and something that looks like high organic material dug at a certain place.  I guess it is just dirty looking sand.  Note the livestock protection enclosures.  Stronger and more stable than straight wall enclosures.  I wonder how she developed her expertise at such a young age?  Does she have a "behind the camera"mentor?  I wonder the setting.  Somewhere in IndoChina, I imagine.  This video makes me wish we had access to large bamboo. Our local bamboo is small and offers to cut up whoever tries to use it.

One of my first reactions, after watching her pedel her products at a market, was "that girl needs a pick up truck".  But I quickly realized that such affluence would mean a poorer quality lifestyle.

I thought the above showed construction of the water wheel; it does not.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Bb1gNQdx8

The construction of the water wheel was the most interesting (not to mention astonishing) part.  I suggest you find and view at least that portion.  Maybe flooding is not a big risk on that river.  A flood would almost certainly sweep the whole thing away.

After watching numerous videos provided on the "Primitive Tool" YT channel.  That channel, also, is well worth viewing.  I've seen indications that the Primitive Tool guy lives in northern (hot, sparse population, desertic) Australia.  But, his "actors" also seem Cambodian or similar.  The PT guy also seems to use much more primitive tools and strategies than the GFF.  PT seems to use wood pegs and bamboo lashings instead of nails, screws, and wire used by GFF.

I want bamboo!  I suspect that the three native varieties in North America are a "slicing hazard".  One must use sturdy gloves when handling.  I HOPE that is not a hazard with asian varieties.  In addition, the American native varieties are much smaller than the depicted asian bamboos.  I found a Florida nursery that offers "Emerald" which makes the large canes seen on YTs.  It is supposed to go down to about 15 deg.  The problem is that a ~$35 specimen costs more than $20 to ship.  More shopping is indicated.

https://bambooplantsonline.com/products/emerald-bamboo-bambusa-textilis-mutabulis-clumping-hedge-bamboo

Like most of my blog posts, I grow weary before I said everything that I think needs to be said. 

5/13/2023

I ended up planting two each of two bamboo varieties.  One of each variety near the travel trailer where I can easily keep and eye on them and the other two in a more obscure location where there is acidic soil.  The varieties are "Golden Hedge" Bambusa Alphonse Karr and "Blue Timber Clumping Bambusa" Bambusa Chungii.

No comments:

Post a Comment