Thursday, June 8, 2023

Alaska?

So far, mainly notes to myself here. 

Thursday after Friday departure

Friday and Saturday nights in Lubbock to commune with Buddy Holley and do things Confederate.

Sunday night in Sidney Nebraska.  After having successfully avoided IH25 in Colorado.

Monday night in Billings Econo Lodge.  Billings has horrible traffic due to freeway construction.

Tuesday night in Lethbridge Econo Lodge where I bought needed phone with Canadian cell service.

Wednesday night in Edson Rode Way Inn.  I've mostly successfully configured the new phone.  Tracking seems to work (others can see my location) and it works in the car via BlueTooth.  Not far from Edson, there is much evidence of foreest fires.  Smoke in the distance, Evidence of recent roadside fire,  A little smoking from smoldering timber.

Daylight hours here in Edson are about 5am until about 9pm.  I would love to travel far enough north (at the right time of the year) to be able to watch the sun circling me just above the horizon.

Yesterday, in Calgary, I went to Tesla Service Center, then on to local KAL tire shop.  I found no joy at Tesla.  As you might expect, they are jammed.  No CCS adapter stuff.  I had hope that that hardware might be available on the edge of the area where it is most needed.  BrandX fast chargers are well scattered across Canada.  Including Yukon.  A new tire cost me ~$300 Canadian.  Conversion is $.75 US to $1 C.  Most all Canadian businesses are willing to accept US dollars but as if they are Canadian.

Thursday, on to Dawson Creek where I hope to get maps and information on roads, etc.  I fear that there will be some slow charging before Dawson Creek and I may have to stay in Dawson tonight.

I had to charge (for a couple of hours) at the Kiwanis RV Park on the west side of Grand Prairie.  The day before, I bought a new tire to replace one with sidewall damage in Calgary.  As it turns out, the real problem was yet another tire with cord separation.  I bought six of that brand from TireRack several years ago and have been putting them on the car as needed.  FOUR of the six have failed with cord separation.  The other two failed due to road hazards.  I am THRILLED to put that brand of tires in my rear view mirror.  I pulled into a tire shop in Dawson Creek and they quickly diagosed the problem (which the car had been complaining about for days) and put my spare with a new Goodyear on the car.  The tire shop could not sell me another new one of proper size.  Until I can find a tire somewhere, I'll have to use the one with cord separation.   Surely, it can go a few hundered miles if driven slow?  Then, I went over to the tourist office (Alcan Highway, Mile 0) and get everything I need except an newish copy of The Milepost.  That's a large guide book on the highway that is updated annually.  

Charging in Edson and Grand Prairie and finding the Chademo adapter which may make this trip go faster:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZSSKXSfHu9VP4ks37

I found the Chademo adapter buried in the car so I have some hope of making some use of the "fast chargers" that are across Yukon every 100-200 miles. Tonight, I am charging at ~5 miles per hour on a hotel outlet that is used for keeping ICE engines warm in very cold weather.  In the morning, I hope to have enough charge to reach Ft St John where I hope to use the Chademo adapter.  Then, maybe, on to Ft Nelson.  If the Chademo charging goes well.  Else, I'll have to start waiting out slow charges.

Future and past details to be added.


No comments:

Post a Comment