Monday, June 12, 2023

Venting at Milepost 635 Watson Lake

 I arrived at Watson Lake yesterday evening after a harrowingly slow drive.  As slow as 30mph in order to maximize range.  I arrived at the Flo charger with 9 miles of range left.  That meant no stopping at roadside attractions.  I found a conveniently located very pricey hotel that specializes in dim room lighting.

The Flo charger initiation was even more aggravating than expected.   About half an hour on the phone to get charging started.  So far the sole redeeming feature of Watson Lake is the spectacular Northern Lights planetarium type show; I had never before been to a planetarium.  With about 100 miles put in the car at the chademo station, I decided to charge at hotel from a block heater outlet.  Which gave me a solid 5 mph at 120vac all night.  The problem with many grid voltage charging opportunities up here is low voltage of 100-110vac.  That's usually a result of three phase power which is nominally 100/208 where split phase is 120/240.

On the road from Muncho Lake yesterday, I saw bear and buffalo at several locations.  When I get an album put together, I'll post the URL 

I'm thinking of turning around at Whitehorse where I hope to find a/some TT30 adapters.  Connecting to RV parks "30 amp" outlets would make such charging more palatable.  I think I'd would rather deal with 200 mile days charging at RV parks than deal with the Flo nightmare that might give me 300-400 miles in a day.  Probably more BrandX charging venting later.  Right now, I will just say that Tesla has solved the charging problems but the various BrandXs have refused to adopt Tesla's strategies on billing, navigating, and maintaining.

A light rain this morning in Watson Lake so I'm waiting a bit before I  depart to do battle with Flo chargers in Testlin and Whitehorse.  Fellow travelers have warned me that Whitehorse is not a good overnight stop but I will likely be forced to stay there tomorrow night.  215 miles in the car right now.  I think Whitehorse is 300+ miles so I can not hope to skip the Flo in Testlin.


No comments:

Post a Comment