Saturday, April 6, 2019

Update on South Field + Guerrilla

I now have the new hitching rail fully populated with 25 producing panels.  I have completely used my stock of panels though I have 30 more on the way.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hUcmfanF8G9Lw7DMA

Photos 1, 3 and 4 show development of the rail while  5 shows the completed rail.  But with weed blocking sheet metal installed only on the near half.  Photos 2 and 6 show the heavy pipe rail.

Total number of producing panels in the South Field is 48:
1) 5 leaning on the west fence (go be moved)
2) 25 on the chain link fence top rail hitching rail (one to be removed but I see the rail remaining un-moved)
3) 18 on the heavy pipe rail on the east side.  (to be increased in length and re-positioned)

In the yard are 29 panels.  The 77 ground mount panels are known as the "guerrilla" system.  On the roof are 26 panels known as the "roof top" system.  Power and energy are independently monitored on the two systems.

In the past, before it grew like Topsy, the guerrilla was a minor contributor compared to the roof top.  Now, during low production periods, the guerrilla produces about twice as much as the roof top.  As power approaches my service limit, guerrilla power is reduced due to high voltage inverter shut downs.  It seems imminent that BlueBonnet is about to fix my service bottle neck.

Right now, total power is limited to about 12kw.  After the service fix, I hope to see about 15-18kw peaks from the currently installed panels.  Then, ONWARD, THROUGH THE FOG!

I believe I have a good supply of pipe on the way.  After it arrives, barring more glitches, I expect to permanently install three pipe rails and leave the chain link rail in place.  Each pipe rail holding 28-34 panels and the chain link rail holding 24.  AC power connections will be at the mid points of all rails.

3 comments:

  1. Did you order the 30 panels on eBay to have them delivered by truck, or are you still getting them from the guy North of Austin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten two pallets of 25 from an eBay guy near Phoenix. This pallet of 30 is coming from an eBay guy in Idaho. All, picked up from terminals in Austin with the Sprinter (back from Gary). The Sprinter was legal for the first two and will not be for the 3rd.

    I've talked to a CraigsList guy in Austin but haven't found a very attractive price compared to the two eBay offerings. I believe the Austin guy is the same that was offering not MC4 panels a while back. I ALMOST bought some of those but could not work out a deal to break pallets for transport in the S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! I did have a few panels delivered by a CraigsList Austin guy a few months ago at the time I was replacing inverters on the PV Shed. Not very attractively priced but I need a couple to replace on the PV Shed while work was being done.

    ReplyDelete