Wednesday, September 18, 2019

3rd TwoFaced Rail

I'm convinced that a 3rd rail of 38 panels will overload my across the road transformer.  But... since the prospects for a larger transformer are good, I decided to go ahead and install.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oi3qdcmJa4Aq1A4M8

First photo is of slight damage to a pallet of panels.  Second is name plate on a variable speed domestic water pump.

9/20/19
It seems my fears may have been unfounded.  The 3rd rail is fully populated with 38 panels and I have not found any high voltage shutdowns.  The 6 gauge wire from the three rails to the 50 amp main panel breaker is regularly above 40 amps.  A day with all day good sun might cause me some trouble.
This meter now has 40 south facing roof top panels that should produce about 10kw mid day.  The three TwoFaced Rails have 56 east facing and 56 west facing.  Something over 10kw each direction.  Partly cloudy days have been thwarting me but I can imagine 20kw around solar noon along with very good early and late production of 10+kw.  Life is good.

A bit later:  I HAVE overloaded the transformer; I am seeing inverters shutting down.  I have also seen 50+ amps coming out of the three rails.  Though I haven't tripped a breaker, I do have a 70 amp breaker at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment