Sunday, October 6, 2019

Sunny Day Power
















The top image is from the new "across the road" Curb energy monitor sited in the main breaker box for the electric meter over there.  The lighter green lower area is for 43 roof mounted panels.  The darker green is for the new three TwoFaced Rails of 18+19+19 east facing PV panels and the same number west facing.  The roof mount is showing too little energy; with about 10kw worth of panels, it should go up to about 8kw under the conditions we had; it is only doing about 4kw.  I have no explanation except maybe the ~8 year old panels need cleaning.

The lower image is for the house with 26 roof top panels and 131 ground mount panels facing, at shallow angles, various directions.  The mid day step down and later step up is a result of inverters shutting down, then coming back up, as a result of high voltage which is, in turn, a result of the power limit of the too small transformer.

Different Curb displays indicate that the upper image is the result of 143 kwh while the lower is 110  kwh.

I just got the "across the road" Curb working yesterday.
The above well illustrates the peak flattening that is my goal using steeply sloping TwoFaced Rails.  "Steeply sloping" is 65-70 deg from horizontal.  On older rails, I used slopes of 30-45 deg.  Coincidentally, today was the best sun day that we've had in a very long while.  There was a little late cloudiness after about 5:30pm.

In the morning, I'll get Bluebonnet's reporting of my energy sales for the day and report here.

The next morning:
For the top meter, "across the road", my utility credited me with 102.8 kwh.  A bit disappointing since production measure was 143.  The demand was a water well which pulled about 2kw at about 50% duty cycle for about 12 hours.  So, about 12kwh.  A freezer pulls about 300 watts at more than 50% duty cycle around the clock.  I did not realize that the freezer might be using 5kwh/day.
For the "house" meter, my utility credited me with 65.5 kwh.  That meter has quite a lot of load including up to 2.6kw of air conditioning and PW recharging of ~12kwh along with some EV and golf cart charging. I'm a bit surprised  (in the other direction) that the house demand seems to be only about 45kwh; I did some significant EV charging yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. With the installation of our first four solar panels, a Kill-A-Watt power meter showed that running three freezer units was consuming way too much power. Our chest freezer was filled with "UFOs" (unidentified frozen objects), so we cleaned it out and jammed everything into the other freezers, and offered you the empty old chest freezer, with a rusty lid and broken gaskets. I imagine that might be the freezer you are writing about above. Also, what is the wattage of that lamp that glows when the irrigation pump is running? Any watts going into that empty Trailer? I would hope that the Bluebonnet metering and the Curb instrumentation would be in close agreement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the offending freezer is your hand-me-down. I've been shopping for a replacement; do you have suggestions? Since I NEVER get around to defrosting, I should get auto defrosting.
      Most of my lights, including the well pilot light, are 6-9 watt LED. In many situations, I do not bother to turn off since power use is so low.
      I checked on Teodore's trailer a few days ago and found no loads. Though I have not bothered to monitor. The trailer has a soft floor; I will try to get rid of it.
      Both of my Curbs ARE in close agreement with Bluebonnet.
      I think.

      Delete