Wednesday, November 13, 2019

More PV scheming.

Today I had lunch with a couple of Bluebonnet people that deal with their "renewable production" customers.

One take away was that they are willing to facilitate up to 50kw production under the terms currently offered: $.064/kwh with fair price stability.  Above 50kw, the pricing scheme is negotiable.  Varying from near the current stable $.064 semi-fixed to 15 minute spot ERCOT pricing which can get quite low.  And quite high.

I seem to differ from other producing Bluebonnet customers in that other customers install PV primarily to offset heavy use.  I seem to be the only one trying to take advantage of very low cost PV to earn significant money selling energy to Bluebonnet.

I am now mentally exploring the possiblity of installing 3 50kw meters/transformers along the north edge of an old vegetable field.  Bluebonnet covers the costs of meters/transformers if, and only if, they have prospects of selling power.  In my case, where I expect to be buying no power, I would be expected to cover the costs.  A reasonable position to protect "real" customers that use Bluebonnet energy.

I failed to talk to them about establishing an RV park.  My estimate is that a 50kw supply might service 6-8 50 amp stalls.  My observation is that RV parks may offer about equal numbers of 50amp and 30amp stalls.  50kw might supply 10-20 stalls in such a mixture.

My existing "steeply sloping two faced rails" produce 5-6 kw for each 38 panel 66' rail.  The rails are spaced about 15' apart.  "Across the road", I have three such rails producing and intend to install 3-6 more after a transformer upgrade.  So, a single 50kw connection might serve up to about eight rails.  An area of about 100' (66' plus a travel/shade buffer) by about 140'.  I make that to be about 1/3 acre.  So, a string of three meters/transformers spaced about  150'-200' apart along an east-west line.  Thinking REALLY big, I have one field that might support about 5 such strings of meters/transformers.  To avoid or minimize pole shading, I could minimize pole height or go under ground.  The first string will be built along the south edge of a brush line.

WAG on material needed would be (per 50kw unit):
1) oil well pipe:  3 33' joints per rail = 24 joints, ~$400
2) 38 panels per each of eight rails = 304 panels, ~$17k
3) 304 micro inverters.  Not currently cheaply available but I hope for about $15k
4) wiring, conduit, breakers, etc.  About $2k.
Estimated monthly income for each 50kw unit is  $400-$500.  Nearly $40k paid off at the rate of about $5k/year.


No comments:

Post a Comment