Tuesday, October 27, 2020

UPC Universal Product Code

 Quite a few years ago I bought or registered a manufacturer's UPC number.  That gave me about 5 digits worth of  product codes I could use.  I believe my manufacturer's number was about 5 digits also.  Cost was nominal, $50 or $100, for lifetime registration.   I used 10-20 codes for my various products, 16 oz Shelled Cream Peas, 16 oz  Shelled Blackeye Peas, 10 oz Washed Spinach, 16 oz Blackberry Jelly, etc.  Anything sold to a grocery store in printed packaging.

I believe I've read that they have run out of manufacturer numbers.  I had long considered trying to share my unused product codes since I had used a tiny fraction of the entire space available under my manufacturer's number.

I just received a solicitation to buy my UPC for $100 along with a $100 check.  "We've tried to reach you by telephone".  I am returning the check and supplying my email address.

A little googling reveals that there are businesses selling individual product codes for near $100.  I assume they have some system for doling out thousands of product codes from a single manufacturer.

If any reader here has an unused UPC manufacturer number, it might be worth money.  Almost certainly more than $100.


No comments:

Post a Comment