Sunday, February 21, 2021

PowerWall Failure

Since it was installed more than two years ago, I have been unsuccessful in getting Tesla to associate my PowerWall with my Tesla app so that the PW could be monitored remotely just like my cars.  I finally gave up and relied only on the local monitoring that the PW provides on my LAN. 

Since proving it's worth during our recent record cold spell, my PowerWall has been malfunctioning.  First, nearly a week ago, it stopped reporting data on my LAN.  No power flows, no state of charge.  I suspected a software update from Tesla might be the source of the trouble; they have done that to me before.  This Sunday morning, I found it was behaving as if the grid was down; supplying power to the house with the transfer switch set to grid off and PW on.  But, I found the grid was not down and I had the expected voltage into the PW gateway.  I did much thrashing around.  Resetting, powering every thing off and on.  I ended up with the PW NOT supplying house power AND the transfer switch refusing to supply grid power to the house.

I've attempted to use Tesla PW service in the past and found it abysmal.  But, I reported via a web form in the middle of last week.  No response.  I could not wait for weeks with no house power for Tesla to give me some attention.  I final resolved to cut the PW out of the path of power to my house.  For that, I needed to kill power to the house to change wiring.  I asked two electricians to handle it for me.  No response.  So, I decided to do it myself, cutting the seal on my meter and removing the meter while I did the work.  Once I decided the easiest way to do the job and lined up the needed tools, it took only about 15 minutes.  So, here I am with power back to the house but with no PW.


The two wires from the meter formerly entered the top of the transfer switch at the top of the gateway box.  The two wires to the PW are disconnected and hanging in space.  The two wires from the meter are now connected where the PW wires were.  That connection then feeds power to my main breaker box, off the photo to the left.

2/21/2021

After the deed was done, I finally got a response from Tesla to my web form request.  The woman was most helpful and in only a few minutes got my PW connected to my Tesla app.  It only took two years and a failed PW.  The next step, I am informed by Tesla "service" is to rewire my PW back between the meter and my main breaker box.  I am convinced that the PW is broken and if I hook it back up I will again be without power  in my house.  Tesla "service" continues to insist that I follow their script.  We are at an impasse.   I likely pissed off Bluebonnet by cutting their seal and removing their meter without their oversight.  I will resist doing again.  Even though Tesla "service" insists.

Higher resolution versions of photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DUSqXj4yzH1yjjgG9


 2/22/2021

The roof top PV was feeding into the breaker box below the gateway box.  With that configuration, I was getting no power from the roof top PV.  Since this situation gives every indication of continuing for a long time, until Tesla finally decides to make a service call, I decided to connect the roof top directly to my main breaker box.  I left the two wires to roof top PV in the PW breaker box but wirenutted them to a cable going to a breaker in the main breaker box.   The whole thing looks even more kludgy than is my norm.  But, it works; I have house power and am selling normal amounts of power to the grid.  I just do not have any grid backup.


2/25/2021

Some communication with Tesla PW "service" indicates I may be able to get a service call appointment by making a phone call.  Which I am resisting.  Reflection and observation leads me to believe that my transfer switch has failed.  It can no longer be manually moved from the "on" (PW) position to the "off" (always grid connected, PW not connected).  I may look into availability of replacement parts with an eye to replacing it myself.  High resolution of below photo indicates "Siemens EO  8695".  Maybe "EQ".


6 comments:

  1. Since the PW is outside perhaps some moisture got in it and froze or maybe there are components not rated for the temperatures you had recently. Have you checked whether others in your area with PWs have similar problems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No other area PW failures have been declared. All PW components are intended to be weather proof and intended for MUCH harsher conditions than we've seen. The PW battery units can be mounted inside which I would prefer if inside space was better. Neighbor recently installed inside battery units. Battery cells will likely work better if temperature swings are limited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tesla site says operating temperatures are -4F to 122F degrees. I think you were below -4F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our low was above 5 deg; I don't believe the PW was supplying power during the very coldest periods; the PW was supplying power during periods or around 20 deg.

      Delete
  4. https://www.amazon.com/SIEMENS-EQ-8695-200A-240V-BREAKER/dp/B012U4DW0S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've ordered one off eBay. Used, about $50. I had the incorrect impression that that switch/breaker was controlled by the gateway. Not so, it is a simple breaker and easily replaced. I have no idea why it failed. I've put no more than about 30kw through it. It is rated for 50kw and my transformer limits to 37kw. The real transfer switch, located below the breaker, had a workout during our weather episode. Around 30 power off / power on cycles in a couple of days. The breaker failed a few days after.

      Delete