Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Buzzard reproduction

 https://photos.app.goo.gl/wQSQhoxhkw8HKSs39

 Now, there are two.  The second hatched today (6/29) between mid morning and late afternoon.

A few days ago, I found a buzzard had been making a mess of my south field PV equipment room, formerly a greenhouse.  I found two eggs on the ground inside the greenhouse and moved them outside.  Then, blocked the two doors into the room.  The momma is non aggressive but can almost always be found at the eggs; she just hops off when I arrive.


 6/30/2021

Chicks appear about the same as yesterday, above.

Donna and  Ray offer that they seem to be "Black Vultures" rather than the more common "Turkey Vultures":

https://txtbba.tamu.edu/species-accounts/black-vulture

 https://txtbba.tamu.edu/species-accounts/turkey-vulture/

 

7/5/2021

Nothing much to report. They've grown a bit.


 7/15/2012

Progress!  Both chicks standing outside the nest area on their feet, holding out their wings.  I was a bit worried since I had seen a loose hound dog roaming around this morning.  A dump job, likely.  Collar but no tags.

It may be that buzzards are not considered "fair game".  A few years ago, I found a dead buzzard near a vegetable field and nothing would touch it.  For your random dead animals, they get cleaned up in a day or two.  The buzzard laid there for months.


 7/23/2012  Missing chicks

I took a couple of photos and added to album 7/21 but did not post here.  Today, I drove by and was surprised to find no chicks.  The adult is usually either absent or on the ground near the chicks.  Today, the adult was perched up off the ground which is unusual.  She flew off but there were no chicks in the area.  Either "something bad" has happened or the chicks are wandering somewhere.  I'll check on them several times tomorrow and report.

9/12/2012

After an absence of near two months, during which I suspected the worst, the near grown chicks reappeared!




The whole area under that shed shows evidence of buzzard presence/activity.    The two chicks are quite timid, preferring to hide than fight or flee.   "Mildred! Be VERY still.  I don't think he sees us." I sure wish I knew what they were doing for the past two months.

9/13/2021

This morning, the chicks remain huddled up in their protected place, lumber and stuff leaning against a barn wall.  Near their hatching spot.  Still maintaining a very low profile.  No evidence of adults.


1 comment:

  1. Please keep updating. It would be interesting to see them learning to fly.

    ReplyDelete