Monday, June 21, 2021

Border Radio and Charlatans

 I've started re-reading a book entitled "Border Radio".

Wikipedia article on "Border Blasters":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_blaster

I recall hearing border blaster broadcasts on the radio but that must have been long after their heydays since my listening would have been no earlier than the early 1950s.

My interest was especially piqued because I had a great aunt that was convinced that she was cured of stomach cancer in Eureka Springs Arkansas by one of the principals of border radio in the 1930s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_G._Baker

I had a false lead that the "doctor" of interest was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Brinkley but Brinkley had no Eureka Springs connection.  And Dr Brinkley's "thing" was impotence treatment with goat gonad transplants.  The family of my great aunt reports what a pleasant place Eureka Springs was.  They lived in Eureka Springs for a period of time while my aunt was treated, apparently as an outpatient.  "Treatment" was reported to be mostly ingesting great quantities of freshly extracted carrot juice.  I believe my aunt ended her days believing that she had been cured by Dr Baker.   Most family members now offer the opinion that she never had cancer.  I grew up with some association with the aunt and never considered questioning her cure belief; it was not a topic that greatly interested me at the time.   But, my interest in history has grown over the years.  The time Baker operated in Eureka Springs was brief,   He bought the Crescent Hotel, his hospital in Eureka Springs, in 1937 and he was imprisoned in May 1941.  His cancer treatment business likely fell apart at his imprisonment. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment