Sunday, May 15, 2022

Fiber to Dale


Yesterday, I noticed some construction along Barth Road between Fm1843 and FM672.  They made me come to a stop so I took the opportunity to ask what they were doing.  I was rewarded: "Installing fiber optic cable to the new cell tower in downtown Dale".  I have not previously noticed the technique being used:  They were using a backhoe to dig holes about 100 yards apart on the side of the road.  Then, they use a boring machine to bore from one hole to the next.  I imagine they were using an empty conduit to push through the borings.   I further imagine that they will somehow push a long continuous length of fiber cable through the conduit once they splice together the conduit segments.  I can not imagine that they would make cable splices every 100 yards.  That's because my perception is that making a fiber splice is difficult/expensive/lossy.

Five or more years ago a cell tower (tower only) was put up behind the Dale Volunteer Fire Department building.  I discovered that the chain link fence surrounding the tower had a sign identifying as "McKemie HomeGrown".  Finding that label surprised me.  The tower sat for years with the tower complete but no antennae or electric stuff.  A few months ago, activity resumed; first, electric service was installed.

I'm surprised that fiber is being installed to the tower.  I thought that all cell towers were served data only via radio. 

 https://photos.app.goo.gl/mKBGJxe2gCpfBrpJ6


No comments:

Post a Comment